8 March 2012
Sparsholt College’s National Aquatics Training Centre’s fishy film location
Bait-Tech, the fastest growing bait manufacturer in Europe recently chose Sparsholt College’s National Aquatic Training Centre to play host to a film crew. The team, led by successful match angler Andy Neal, were at the College’s renowned facilities to record a promotional DVD.
Ornamental Diploma students prepared two aquariums to replicate coarse fisheries here in the UK. In one aquarium there were mirror carp who were filmed reacting to bait in situations made to replicate what would happen in a lake. In the second, the students had prepared roach, bream and perch for a similar trial. The purpose of the DVD will be to demonstrate what actually happens underneath the water and how coarse fish react to different types of Bait-Tech bait and angling scenarios.
Peter Clapperton, Bait-Tech Managing Director said: “The footage filmed at Sparsholt is fascinating – we saw how the fish are attracted to the bait, how their senses are awakened and how they then tackle the bait. We have learned so much that will not only prove invaluable to anglers but will also influence future product development here at Bait-Tech. We are very keen to produce further DVDs and would look to work with the team at Sparsholt College once again.”
To reap the benefit of the DVD findings, anglers will have to wait until early April when Bait-Tech will be releasing the DVD. This will be available for free through fishing tackle retailers and will also be available to view on the Bait-Tech You-Tube channel. More information available from the Bait-Tech website www.bait-tech.com.
Sparsholt Lecturer Dan Gale was filmed being interviewed by Andy Neal and when not being featured in promotional DVD he lectures in various aspects of Fish Management (Ornamental Fish and Sport Fisheries). Working with students he provides the science, theory and practical training for those looking to pursue careers in sport fisheries, fish farming and aquatics.
He said: “Bait-Tech is a huge company in the bait sector so we were extremely pleased to provide the location for this promotional DVD. Our National Aquatics Training Centre is renowned nationally as a unique facility and we have a number of recognised industry experts on the College lecturing team.”
The College offers a range of Further and Higher Education Fishery courses from BTEC Level 1 Diplomas in Land-based Studies (Fish) to BSc (Hons) in Aquaculture and Fishery Management. The Colleges also offers a number of one-day workshops aimed at those either looking to improve their professional skills or develop a personal interest.
For those interested in finding our more about studying at the College, the next Open Day will be Saturday 3 March 2012, 10.00am to 3.00pm. For more information please visit www.sparsholt.ac.uk or call 01962 776441.
Notes to Editor
- Sparsholt College Hampshire, incorporating Andover College, is one of the largest colleges in the South East offering hundreds of full and part-time courses as well as bespoke training for business.
- The College was been recognised (in January 2009) as an Associate College of the University of Portsmouth which validates degree programmes at the Sparsholt College campus. The Sparsholt College campus is a recognised as one of the country’s leading colleges for outdoor and land based industries.
- The Andover College campus serves North Hampshire with a range of academic and vocational qualifications and includes a dedicated Sixth Form Academy.
- Sparsholt’s Animal Management and Veterinary Nursing Centre, Fishery Management Department and Conservation and Wildlife Management provision are all renowned centres of vocational excellence and the College has achieved certification in the Training Quality Standard with excellence in Environmental and Land Based Training. The Training Quality Standard is an assessment framework designed to recognise and celebrate the best organisations delivering training and development solutions.
- The College has achieved the Matrix Standard accreditation for delivering information, advice and guidance services.
- Sparsholt College Hampshire is on the UK government’s Register of Education and Training Providers. The Sponsor Licence Number (SLN) on this register is G0J84DCF3.
- The College was assessed for the quality of its Higher Education provision by the Universities and Colleges of Higher Education Quality Assurance Agency and received endorsements for the many areas of Good Practice.
For further information please contact:
Sue Allison, Press and Communications Officer 01962 797563 / firstname.lastname@example.org